Participate in the planting of a Miyawaki forest a few kilometers from Nantes with our partner Mini Big Forest
The project at a glance
- Number of trees to be planted: 2018
- Planting area: 0.5 hectares
- Planted species: 30 species including oak, alisier, bourdaine, lime tree, cherry tree, cherry tree, cherry tree....
- Type of project: Miyawaki forest establishment
- Planting season: autumn 2018, spring and autumn 2019
Context and benefits
Villeneuve Abbey whose construction began in 1201, will be bordered by a 4-lane road by 2021. In order to compensate the visual and noise pollution, the association "Les Amis de Villeneuve" and Mini Big Forest wish to establish a dense forest. The latter is carried out according to the method of the Japanese scientist Akira Miyawaki. This method aims to recreate primitive forests, with local species, perfectly adapted to soil and climate. The plantation is very dense, 30 times more dense than in traditional forests, this makes possible to create a real vegetal wall that serve as a sound barrier. The diversity of species, about thirty, will allow this forest to be more resilient to natural hazards and to welcome more biodiversity. Finally, the forest will quickly find its balance and will therefore not require any maintenance in the long term.