With Reforest'Action and Sylva Nova, participate in the reforestation of this former farmland!
The project at a glance
- Number of trees to be planted: 5,900
- Plantation area: 4.5 hectares
- Species planted: pedunculate oak, sycamore maple, common birch, bird's-eye mountain ash
- Project type: reforestation of an agricultural wasteland
- Planting season: Spring 2021
This old field is located in the township of Ballinabarney, within an area of archaeological interest. The soils had been degraded by agricultural work and had little environmental value.
In order to help the land regain its ecological functions, 5,900 trees of various species are planted on the spot. This approach will increase the resilience of the emerging forest in the face of external attacks. The trees planted will create news habitats to host a varied biodiversity. The project will also be an opportunity to increase Ireland's wooded area, which is currently low: indeed, forests cover only 7% of the Irish territory, making it one of the 5 least wooded countries in Europe. In addition, the trees planted will store carbon, thus contributing to the fight against global warming.